Re: make is really slow!

Michael Lee (TOR) wrote:

> Hi, I'm completely stumped.
>
> I recently upgraded my Debian system from a 2.2 kernel to 2.4.18, and since
> then it has slowed to a near-halt (on a Celeron 733). Where it's most
> notable is if I run make.
>
> For example, "make menuconfig" takes about two full minutes to bring up the
> dialog boxes. And then, running "make dep" takes a solid TWO HOURS after
> saving my kernel changes. And then (yeah, it gets even better) running
> "make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image" takes a whopping FOUR HOURS
> to finish!
>
> I could be approaching this whole thing all wrong, but I checked the version
> of make, and it is:
>
> shiner:~# make -v
> GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
> Built for i386-pc-linux-gnu
>
> On another Debian machine which runs JUST FINE on a 2.4.18 kernel (a Celeron
> 500), the version of make is:
>
> mlee@kilkenny:~$ make -v
> GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
> Built for i586-pc-linux-gnu
>
> Is it possible that make is slow on the Celeron 733 because it's the wrong
> architecture (i386, instead of i586)? And if so, how on earth do I upgrade
> it? I've tried apt-get upgrade and apt-get install (my apt sources are set
> to the unstable debian source), but it just keeps telling me I already have
> the updated versions. I fear there may be a bigger problem here though.
> HELP! (And thanks to anyone who can provide it!).

I don't think make being an i386 package has anything to do with it. The
speed increase of recompiling for i586 or whatever wouldn't be all that
dramatic, and besides, you changed your kernel, not your make.

I have a Celeron 700 running an i386 make 3.79.1, and see no such problems.

You should try booting your old 2.2 kernel and see if the problem goes
away. If it does, then the kernel is the only difference. You might want
to look at your swap usage. How much memory does this machine have?
Also, what differences are there between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernel
configurations? It could be that your 2.4 kernel is not set up for
efficient usage of your hard disk. hdparm can tell you whether DMA and
multi-sector I/O are being used; check that under both kernels.

Craig