make is really slow!

Hi, I'm completely stumped.

I recently upgraded my Debian system from a 2.2 kernel to 2.4.18, and since
then it has slowed to a near-halt (on a Celeron 733). Where it's most
notable is if I run make.

For example, "make menuconfig" takes about two full minutes to bring up the
dialog boxes. And then, running "make dep" takes a solid TWO HOURS after
saving my kernel changes. And then (yeah, it gets even better) running
"make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image" takes a whopping FOUR HOURS
to finish!

I could be approaching this whole thing all wrong, but I checked the version
of make, and it is:

shiner:~# make -v
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i386-pc-linux-gnu

On another Debian machine which runs JUST FINE on a 2.4.18 kernel (a Celeron
500), the version of make is:

mlee@kilkenny:~$ make -v
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i586-pc-linux-gnu

Is it possible that make is slow on the Celeron 733 because it's the wrong
architecture (i386, instead of i586)? And if so, how on earth do I upgrade
it? I've tried apt-get upgrade and apt-get install (my apt sources are set
to the unstable debian source), but it just keeps telling me I already have
the updated versions. I fear there may be a bigger problem here though.
HELP! (And thanks to anyone who can provide it!).

~~ Michael Lee