Re: Problems: mutt to Outlook (Express)

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:43:21PM -0700, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
[snip]
| The bug you describe is caused when it recieves a message that
| starts with "begin " and isn't starting a uuencoded file.  OE users
| will attest to this as this particular post will trigger that bug.

Oh, yeah, that bug.  I read about it recently.  It's a great bug.
Rather than following the spec regarding uuencode data MS assumes that
any text beginning with 'begin' is uuencode.  Take a look at their
recommended workaround.  They first claim that the problem is in the
standards (not in their non-conformance) and then tell everybody not
to use the word 'begin' in an email!

| > The Usenet group comp.mail.mutt is probably the definitive
| > place to ask for help, since I doubt there's anything
| > Debian-specific going on.
|
| I've been thinking about moving away from pine in favor of either mutt
| or elm.

Choose mutt over elm.

| I use tin, but elm doesn't work *exactly* like I would expect coming
| from tin, and mutt is just counterintuitive.

How do you find elm (mostly) ok and mutt wholly not ok?  Their UI is
very similar, except that mutt uses screen real-estate better and has
more features.  mutt's author, Michael Elkins, is a former part of the
elm development group.

I used to use elm when I didn't have a GUI available because it was
the first UNIX mailer I was introduced to.  One of my big complaints
with it was that it didn't understand new mail in a non-inbox folder.
That didn't mesh well with my sorting of list mail.  Someone
recommended mutt to me, and I found I could jump right in and use it
naturally (because the keybindings are nearly the same).  mutt has no
problem with new messages being in any folder (not just the INBOX).

| I wish pine would go free so people actually have an incentive to
| hack the code a bit and make it more featureful; my estimation is
| UWash's semi-braindead license is what's keeping more people from
| hacking on it.

Could be.  I'll provide an FYI here instead of in the message it's
more related to.  The way you/pine is signing your messages is the
"old" style called 'clearsign'.  The problem with it is that the
client must parse the message body to find the PGP stuff to verify the
signature.  The mutt-gpg howto has some macros and scripts to automate
it, but I haven't set that up yet.  Mutt uses the newer style which is
to transfer the body and the signature as separate MIME parts with
proper Content-Types.  I think mutt has a switch to use the old style
too.  MS Outhouse "works" with the clearsign format and misbehaves
with the PGP/MIME format.  (it doesn't verify the sig in either case)
This is just FYI since your pine plugin is behaving according to the
(superceded) RFC.

-D

--

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Philippians 4:13