Re: / on raid1

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> Take a close look at your boot messages.  Your system most likely booted
> off /dev/hda1, then mounted /dev/md1 as /.  If so, it's still running
> the kernel from hda1, which is the source of those active inodes.

i booted from a floopy, docu for this was the "Boot + Root + Raid + Lilo :
Software Raid mini-HOWTO" at

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO-4.html#ss4.5

-----------------------

4.5 Test your new RAID
Make a boot floppy and rdev the kernel.
    dd if=kernal.image of=/dev/fd0 bs=2k
    rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/md0
    rdev -r /dev/fd0 0
    rdev -R /dev/fd0 1

-----------------------

i followed the howto, though i dont have a /boot partition separated.

> To fix this, you'll need to fix your lilo/grub settings to get the
> machine to actually boot from the raid so that hda1 is never touched
> as an independent disk.  This may take a few lilo runs to get right
> (depending on your IDE controller and bios config, you may need to
> install the boot block on /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, or /dev/md1).

with lilo i couldn't boot up to now, but this will be another topic

> Also, as a side note:  Raiding hda and hdb will kill your performance
> because an IDE controller isn't smart enough to talk to both of them at
> full speed simultaneously.  If at all possible, move hdb to your second
> IDE controller (making it hdc).

yes this also stands on my todo list, thx for the hint.

charlie

--
Vegh Karoly