Re: / on raid1

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 02:21:35PM +0200, Karoly VEGH wrote:
> in the log:
>
> md: trying to hot-add hda1 to md1 ...
> md: can not import hda1, has active inodes!
> md: error, md_import_device() returned -16
>
> what am i supposed to do, to get rid of those ugly active inodes ?

Take a close look at your boot messages.  Your system most likely booted
off /dev/hda1, then mounted /dev/md1 as /.  If so, it's still running
the kernel from hda1, which is the source of those active inodes.

To fix this, you'll need to fix your lilo/grub settings to get the
machine to actually boot from the raid so that hda1 is never touched
as an independent disk.  This may take a few lilo runs to get right
(depending on your IDE controller and bios config, you may need to
install the boot block on /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, or /dev/md1).

Also, as a side note:  Raiding hda and hdb will kill your performance
because an IDE controller isn't smart enough to talk to both of them at
full speed simultaneously.  If at all possible, move hdb to your second
IDE controller (making it hdc).

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss