spurious xterm windows on boot

hello all,

I have a million questions, but am finding the debian documentation to be amazingly helpful for all but the simplest one.

Every time I boot into my personal login, incrementally more xterm windows start up on my desktop. It doesn't happen when I just log in, only when I boot.

The same thing happens with the root account, except they're Nautilus windows instead of xterm.

I'm up to about a dozen Nautilus windows and 16 +/- xterm windows. I'm sure I'll come across what's doing this eventually, but by then there could be hundreds..

It's debian unstable, custom 2.4.18 kernel, Gnome 1.4. It was a very minimal http install last weekend, it's been happening ever since.

Any advice on where to look for the culprit appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Kenneth