sane-backends upgrade breaks scanimage with ADF

I did a dist-upgrade today on my office machine, so now have the latest
woody sane-backends. That includes scanimage, which I use for scanning
documents with a document feeder.  The following command, which worked
this morning, now crashes miserably:

scanimage --batch=page%04d.pnm --mode Binary --resolution 120 --source
    "Automatic Document Feeder"

It simply crashes with a "Segmentation fault" -- no additional
information.

Scanning using scanimage works fine using the flatbed.

This is an Epson Perfection 1640SU Office connected via SCSI.

Any advice?

Thanks.