making dos partitions: help

Hello! I need to create a simple bootable fat32 partition.
Partitioning, making it active, writing correct MBR isn't a real problem.
Formatting that partition is trivial as well- mkdosfs -F32 device, but then
the REAL problem begins. Is there a simple way to transfer usual msdos
bootloader + system files without messing with BPB/FAT? I've tinkered with
mkdosfs, replacing its dummy bootloader with msdos one. It does start, but
still refuses to boot io.sys, due to io-errors (yes, I've placed io.sys +
msdos.sys correctly and double-checked the FAT).

What's the solution? Of course, using dosemu + dexe to run "sys source:
target:" still works, but I'd like to do that using native linux tools.
Another way is to create a small bootable partition and use dd to read/write
image, but this way will work for this particular case only, cause some
specific info is still located in BPB/FAT table. :(

Regards!
-- Dan