ipmasqerade

I'm setting up a machine to work as NAT/gateway/proxy server for my home
lan.  I compiled the kernel and included NAT and the various network
components as part of the kernel rather than as modules.  I then
installed ipmasq.

NAT certainly seems to be working.  Machines with a 192.168.1.? IP are
able to surf the net.

I'd now like to set up some IPMASQ rules to control what certain
computers are able to access (that is, limit what my son's computer can
access.)  In order to see what's going on, I run

netstat -anM

I get the error message "no support for ip_masquerade on this system"

Is this because I have the networking components compiled in rather than
implemented as modules, because I'm using ipmasq rather than straight
iptables, or something else?