Mutt file locking?

I'm running Debian Sid.  I just upgraded to the latest mutt.  Its
complainging about flock and dotlock.  My home directory and the files
I'm trying to save to are NFS mounted. The mutt manual says there's
something about locking on the server or portmap on the client.  If I do
a ps on the client box I see portmap and [lockd].  On the server there
is a portmap but no lockd.  My server is running nfs-user-server.
Anyone know the right way to fix this instead of just going to an older
version of mutt?

:wq!
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER: