Re: Woody Release questions...

* Ken Irving (jkirving@mosquitonet.com) [020502 18:04]:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 06:59:49AM +0200, Thomas Weinbrenner wrote:
> > Matthew Daubenspeck <matt@oddprocess.org> wrote:
> >
> > > When woody is officially "released", does that mean it will eventually
> > > be called "stable"??
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > > If so, does that mean that having "testing" in my sources.list will
> > > actually try to grab packages from the next release?
> >
> > Yes. If you don't want this, replace "testing" with "woody".
>
> From another thread, however, my impression is that there won't
> be any drastic, step changes to testing other than changing its
> name from "woody" to "sarge".  IOW, at the moment woody becomes
> stable, stable and testing will be identical.  My conclusion is
> that it's safe to keep pointing to testing if that's what you've
> been doing, and the change of stable to woody will be a non-event
> to testing "subscribers".

That's all true (AFAIK). Many people have been asking how to just stick
with woody: they want to run a stable release but have been running
woody because potato grew so many cobwebs.

Here's an (untested) idea I had to take care of this without any timing
constraints (i.e. it should Just Work before, during, and after the
release).

in your sources.list, you may include lines for
'woody' and  ( 'sid' or 'unstable' )
(your choice).

in your /etc/apt/preferences, give stable a higher preference than
testing. Order them such that you have stable > testing > unstable .
Now, since you don't have potato source lines, apt will choose packages
from testing == woody. After the release, the woody source lines will
contain packages marked stable, so they will be preferred to any new
packages in testing.

Note, I'm not in any way involved with the release process, nor even a
debian developer, so this shouldn't be taken as an authoritative answer,
just a suggestion to a problem I've seen many people wondering about. I
hope someone with more authority can point out any mistakes in my
understanding of the release situation or the implementation I describe.

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml