Re: GRUB question

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 11:25:03PM -0400, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2002-05-13 23:11:43, Scott Henson wrote:
> > I am trying to install grub on my system so I can try out the GNU/HURD,
> > but I cant seem to get grub to install properly on my system.  I can get
> > grub to boot and everything.  I can even boot into all my OSes, but I
> > cant get it to show me a menu.  My menu.1st file is attached.
>
> Did you actually save it as menu.1st (menu dot one st) instead of
> menu.lst (menu dot l s t)?  It took me a couple of tries to figure out
> that you have to store it in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Curiously enough, with the proper invocation to "install", GRUB will
use /boot/grub/menu.1st.  I should know ...

$ ls /boot/grub
device.map
e2fs_stage1_5
fat_stage1_5
ffs_stage1_5
jfs_stage1_5
menu.1st
minix_stage1_5
reiserfs_stage1_5
stage1
stage2
vstafs_stage1_5
xfs_stage1_5

No wonder "setup" never worked <*g*>.  It's a bad choice of name, as
l I and 1 are easy to misread (and most other files seem to have a 1
in the name...).  Wonder why they didn't just use "menu"?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>