Re: good choice of network card?

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 22:06, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 20:36, David Wright wrote:
> > I know they work, and I don't want to risk changing. But can anyone tell
> > me what makes the 3com card supposedly better? The specs I know are
> > exactly the same.
>
> Don't 3Com cards have a processor that off-loads network traffic from
> the CPU handling it?  Or do all Ethernet cards have this functionality?
>
> Assuming drivers will equivalent functionality/performance, what exactly
> is the difference between network cards?
>
> Mike.
I think that is the main difference.  Also with some other really cool
functionality that no one really ever uses.  Basically what it comes
down to is 3com has a better reputation and is great for machines that
need the extra functionality.  Other than that most people would be
happy with the cheap $10USD cards that you can buy anywhere.  The only
reason I have a 3com card is cause my university required it and my
parents bought it for me before I told them my current realtek clone
would work fine.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."