Re: building deb-src packages

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 16:20, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 03:19:34PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I've downloaded the mozilla source package, but am unsure
> > of what to do next.
> > Do I do this:
> >    dpkg-deb --build /etc/apt/mozilla-1+rc1
> > or
> >    cd /etc/apt/mozilla-1+rc1 && dpkg-buildpackage -ai686
>
> (I hope you didn't unpack it in /etc/apt! Use 'apt-get source' as an
> ordinary user, not as root, and usually somewhere in your home
> directory.)

Uh, yeah.  That's where I was when I did
$ apt-get source mozilla
Can I just "rm mozilla*" and mozilla-1+rc1/ from /etc/apt?

> Change into the unpacked source directory and run 'dpkg-buildpackage
> -rfakeroot -uc -us'. The -uc and -us prevent the tools from trying to
> sign the generated .changes and .dsc files, which you probably don't
> want to bother with. -rfakeroot, if you have the fakeroot package
> installed, means you don't need root privileges for the build.
>
> You'll want to install the build-essential package and its dependencies,
> plus anything listed in the Build-Depends:/Build-Depends-Indep: fields
> of debian/control in the source package. 'apt-get build-dep mozilla'
> will do this for you if you have apt >= 0.5.

So, since I already have apt 0.5.4 & build-essential 6 installed,
as root, in ~, I do
  $ apt-get source mozilla
  $ cd <the_mozilla_dir>
  $ dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us
OR
  $ apt-get build-dep mozilla
  $ apt-get --build source mozilla

Or have I still got it wrong?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."           |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live |