OT: java.log of failed java program, any ideas

I am currently trying to run matlab which apparently uses
its own java stuff. Are there any java experts that can
deciper the log file. . Apparently there is a segmentation
violation. Perhaps one of the dynamic libraries is at fault.

The annoying thing is I have it working on one woody
box but not on the other (a laptop). I have tried
to compare package lists but couldn't see anything
significant. Is there a more complete way I could debug
this?

-walter

------------log file-----------------

SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
	stackbase=BFFFB40C, stackpointer=BFFF97C4

Full thread dump:
    "SIGQUIT handler" (TID:0x422212a0, sys_thread_t:0x8146e20, state:R, thread_t: t@2051, sp:0x0 threadID:0x436, stack_base:0xbf5ffaa0, stack_size:0x200000) prio=1088071328
    "Finalizer thread" (TID:0x42221088, sys_thread_t:0x8146cf8, state:CW, thread_t: t@1026, sp:0x0 threadID:0x435, stack_base:0xbf7ffaa0, stack_size:0x200000) prio=1088071328
    "main" (TID:0x422210b0, sys_thread_t:0x813e240, state:R, thread_t: t@1024, sp:0x0 threadID:0x3d1, stack_base:0xbfffb40c, stack_size:0x200000) prio=1088071328 *current thread*
	java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java)
Monitor Cache Dump:
Registered Monitor Dump:
    Thread queue lock: <unowned>
    Name and type hash table lock: <unowned>
    String intern lock: <unowned>
    JNI pinning lock: <unowned>
    JNI global reference lock: <unowned>
    BinClass lock: <unowned>
    Class loading lock: <unowned>
    Java stack lock: <unowned>
    Code rewrite lock: <unowned>
    Heap lock: <unowned>
    Has finalization queue lock: <unowned>
    Finalize me queue lock: <unowned>
	Waiting to be notified:
	    "Finalizer thread" (0x8146cf8)
    Monitor registry: owner "main" (0x813e240, 1 entry)