Re: Small footprint window manager

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 07:05:51PM -0700, Jeffrey Baker wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 05:06:53PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > I highly recommend blackbox, fluxbox, & icewm.
> > >
> > > I have never tried ion, but there is another nice, unusual, and
> > > extremely lightweight & easily configurable (keybindings & such) window
> > > manager called pwm:
> > > http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/
> > > For some reason, I had the feeling that pwm had evolved from ion, but
> > > when I went to retrieve that link just now, I see it calls ion
> > > "A keyboard friendly window manager based on PWM."
> >
> > Isn't this all rather academic, since Miroslav has a _386_ with
> > only SIXTEEN MB RAM?  Running X would be folly!!  Not only is the
> > CPU old and slow, but so is the RAM, HDD, video card, etc.  And
> > the HDD will tiny!!!
>
> I used to run X on Slackware Linux on a machine with "only" 16MB and
> a 540MB drive, which was split four ways between linux, dos, WinNT
> 3, and OS/2.  I'd say it should work fine.
>
> And if it doesn't, he should go grab an old copy of Slackware and
> use that, because we *know* it will run on that hardware.

One trick to remember with a small HDD is to NOT let dselect install
everything it wants to by default.  I did an installation of potato in
< 100 MB be unselecting a lot of stuff I didn't need or want on that
box (after filling up the drive the first time through).  50 MB or so
is probably a realistic minimum (it used to be somewhat less).

Bob