Re: Small footprint window manager

On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 20:08, craigw wrote:
> On Sat May 11, 2002 at 11:57:19PM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 23:37, Miroslav Mazurek wrote:
> > >
> > > I need som recomendation for some realy small footprint window manager (it
> > > should run on 386/16MB). What's best choice?
> >
> > Choose: http://www.plig.org/xwinman/others.html
> >
> > blackbox is nice, as is icewm. Personally I always recommend to at least
> > try Ion http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/ (on any machine, 386 or
> > P4). It needs some getting used to since it's a totally different
> > approach (and handles multi-window apps like gimp rather badly) but wow,
> > is it cool. Also a great choice for smaller screens (laptops)
> > --
> I highly recommend blackbox, fluxbox, & icewm.
>
> I have never tried ion, but there is another nice, unusual, and
> extremely lightweight & easily configurable (keybindings & such) window
> manager called pwm:
> http://www.students.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/
> For some reason, I had the feeling that pwm had evolved from ion, but
> when I went to retrieve that link just now, I see it calls ion
> "A keyboard friendly window manager based on PWM."

Isn't this all rather academic, since Miroslav has a _386_ with
only SIXTEEN MB RAM?  Running X would be folly!!  Not only is the
CPU old and slow, but so is the RAM, HDD, video card, etc.  And
the HDD will tiny!!!

Stick with text.  Maybe TWIN would suffice.
  http://linuz.sns.it/~max/twin/
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/twin/

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |