xfree redux

Hi all,

Awhile back I purchased a video card that was only supported by version
4.1 of Xfree86.  At the time, woody didn't have it in it's repertoire, so
I installed it manually from the tar.gz files found at the homepage of
xfree.  Of course, now woody has the 4.1 version in it.  I have installed
the debian version with apt-get, but I am not sure if the "X" that is
actually being used is the one from my self-installation or the one from
the apt-got version...(is it overwritten? that would solve the whole
thing) So,

1) how do I know which one is actually running?

2) how do I convert from the self-installed to the apt-got version?

3) how do I delete the self-installed version and not hurt the debianized
one?

I just don't want to take up hard drive space with two copies of all those
fonts...

TIA,
Jeff

--