Hard drive performance, new kernel?

I have tried multiple things to speed up my hard drive access, and the
best I can seem to squeeze out of a 7200RPM 40GB HDD is 23 MB/s. That
just doesn't sound right... I have another box with another linux
distro with an ATA66 5400RPM drive that gets 40 MB/s without even
tweaking anything.

The only possibility I can thing of is that I never told the debian
installer what IDE controller I was using, and it is just loading a
generic. Is this possible?

Is there any easy way to recompile the kernel, or do I have to
download the sources and do it the old fashion way?