Problems with display on VIA chipset motherboard

I use a AMD-Duron processor on a  VIA chipset motherboard ,
I installed the S3Virge stuff that came with
the CD supplied by my vendor ,and now am having some problems
with the display.

o In XWindows , my ps/2 mouse pointer hangs after lurking in the corners
ofthe screen.

o zgv , text-console - based picture viewer , shows either a blank
screen for JPG or a white screen for GIF !

Strange , Windoze does not seem to be causing
this much of a headache.
Can somebody please help me out ?

Thanks,
Shyam