Re: CPU load testing

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 09:08:55PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:

| At 2002-05-11T23:43:31Z, Scott Henson <shenson2@sandm.hn.org> writes:
|
| > On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 16:37, Sven Hoexter wrote:
|
| >> I prefer cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null
|
| > Dont hose your system entropy.  Try
| >
| >    cat /dev/zero > /dev/null
| >
| > same result but you still have your entropy.
|
| Both of those would get the CPU nice and hot, but if I'm not mistaken,
| neither one would really exercise the FPUs or memory busses.

Right.

| Wouldn't a better test be, say, a looped Quake timedemo in
| software-3D mode?

This will likely test your video card, if you have a decent one
(unlike mine).

| Or perhaps Seti-at-home (doesn't it use FP vs.  integer math?) run
| multiple times?

That sounds like a good idea.

If you want to test the memory bus, use memtest86.  It's designed for
that :-).  (or compile a kernel, that tends to identify bad memory
when you see gcc segfault)

-D

--

the nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.