CPU load testing

Can anyone recommend a good package or a good way to CPU load test my debian
box? (I have Potato 2.2r6). My box keeps freezing up, it seems to always happen
when the network card is busy (copying files mainly). But it could be just the
CPU load which is causing it, which is why I want to take the net card down and
try a high CPU load for a while....

(My motherboard is an Abit BP6 which is famously unstable with linux, but I
have updated the bios to a new version which apparently solves the instability
problem in most cases.....)

thanks!
alex