Re: network access cause machine lockup

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 11:27:34PM +0100, Alex Hunsley wrote:
| I've narrowed down the problem with my box to being network related.
| I'm tempted to think I have a faulty network card (using the 3c59x
| driver), but maybe this isn't the case - anyone have any bright ideas about
| other causes of this behaviour?

Bad memory is possible.  Did you try memtest86?  There's a package in
woody and sid.  It has no dependencies because it is just a
specialized kernel that gets dropped in /boot.  You can also download
the image from the website and use 'dd' to put it on a floppy.

Try another NIC to see if that's the problem.  Try that NIC in a
different machine.

I suppose the PCI bus could be hosed.  I don't know how to test that
other than by the process of elimination (if it's not the memory, and
not the NIC and not the CPU ...).

HTH,
-D

                                               -- Dave Parnas