network access cause machine lockup

(Context: See previous posts of mine about problems with my potato 2.2r6
machine....)

I've narrowed down the problem with my box to being network related.
(Btw, I'm running in console mode only, no X sessions here.)
Bascially, my machine is fine with low-traffic network access (e.g. telnet or
ssh) , but as soon as the network access gets a bit vigorous - i.e. copying
lots of files with samba, ftp or scp - the box locks up after about 5 minutes.
(The monitor is blank[1], keyboard input does nothing, won't respond to
pings...) I'm tempted to think I have a faulty network card (using the 3c59x
driver), but maybe this isn't the case - anyone have any bright ideas about
other causes of this behaviour?
I can't really ignore this problem since the main intended use for this machine
is network backups...

[1] although the monitor is probably blank because the screensaving thing is
coming into play, whereby after N minutes of keyboard inactivity the console
goes blank until you press a key...

thanks
alex