Re: CPU load testing

hi ya alex

- use a better nic card...
	- tulip driver is relatively good and yet cheap
	( netgear FA310TX - $15 range )

	- some nic drivers hang under heavy network traffic

- get a better mb...
	- asus, intel, supermicro, tyan...
	( i (personally) avoid using iwill, gigabit, fic, msi, ...

	- bp6 is notorius for "linux problems"

	- asus cusi-630tx is $65 range.. for up to p3-1.2G

	- dont use any of the onboard "raid" controllers
	( none of um really works all that well - if at all )

- if you have power savings enabled in the bios...
	- turn it off in the bios... for testing the "hanging"

- simple load test ...

	-- fire off multiple copies of the script..
		- whacky code  - for the fun of it -

	while ( 1 ) {
	    "pass += 1"  > /tmp/count.$$.log
	    date
	    ls -la / | sum
	    cd /usr/local/src/linux ; make dep ; make clean ; make bzlilo
	}
	#
	# watch the cpu temperature too
	# watch the load w/ top, ntop, etc...