Re: hard drive question

On Fri, 10 May 2002 13:28:02 -0400
"Matthew Daubenspeck" <matt@oddprocess.org> wrote:

> burnt:/home/mellofone# hdparm /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  multcount    =  0 (off)
>  I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  nowerr       =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    =  8 (on)
>  geometry     = 4865/255/63, sectors = 78165360, start = 0
>  HDIO_GET_BUSSTATE failed: Input/output error
>
> I'm no expert, but that doesn't look good :)

Well, it's not terrible, but definitely not a config that will give you
the performance you'd expect from an ATA100 drive.  Currently, you're not
using 32 bit I/O or DMA (two items that will majorly impact your drives
performance).  Also, you're not using multcount.

Based on your previous post, I think the following command may help tune
your HD's performance a bit:

hdparm -c1 -d1 -m16 /dev/hda

The above is probably not optimaal, but most likely significantly better
than you were getting.  If the above works for you long term, add a "-k1"
to the list of switches which will help the drive keep it's settings
between resets (not reboots).

--
Jamin W. Collins