Re: High quality audio card

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 03:08:05PM -0700, alberto wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> How about a high quality audio card supported under Linux?
>  (so as I can backup my precious vynil records collection...!)
>
> Any Hi-Fi geek that knows about it and can recommend one or at least the
> characteristics to look for?

I'm no expert, but I'm not going to let that stop me from commenting

from what I've read, the way to go is an external usb sound box
thingy.  Apparently the biggest source of noise when A-D converting is
the power supply in the computer (which switches the current on and
off very quickly), and moving outside the case and onto a separate
power source helps a lot.

Also, again from what others have said, the SB Extigy is crap.  The
only recommendation I've ever heard was for some sort of Roland
SoundBox(?) or something, which is a USB device that has a few 48kHz
24-bit analog inputs, the same again for output plus some optical
digital I/O ports.  No idea where you can find one, or how much they
are, or if they're even any good, but it might help you get started.

I seem to remember that there's a 'Linux Audio' site out there
somewhere...www.linuxaudio.org maybe?

Hmmm...that's certainly the vaguest and least informative post I've
made in a while, but maybe there's something useful in there...

-rob