Re: journaling file system on thinkpad?

M> Hi,

M> I'm running woody with kernel 2.4.18 on an IBM i1200 Thinkpad. I am using
M> ext2 filesystem for all partitions (but swap:-). It happend more than
M> once, that I left the machine on battery and left the office for more
M> than 3h ....

M> Has anyone a thinkpad (or any other laptop) running a journaling
M> filesystem (reiserfs, xfs, ext3)? Is it safe (in the kernel
M> config it's still mentioned as EXPERIMENTAL) and running stable?

I use XFS on all my systems, laptop and otherwise. Though I leave
the /boot partition as ext2, and not mounted by default. I suppose
that I am biased, I've been using XFS since it was in beta on
IRIX... Given the right mkfs parameters, the filesystems are portable
between IRIX and Linux (and configuring "SGI Partitions").

I've never had any problems with recovery after the few crashes that
I've had. The only problem I've had has been with a disk that
developed a bad track in the middle of a filesystem...

My limited testing shows that XFS is faster than EXT2 or ReiserFS at
everything except file deletion. EXT3 wasn't stable when I did the
tests.

M> And: How to switch from ext2 to journaling? I have recent mondo/mindi
M> backups of the machine. But what about booting from it with LILO?

Well, anything except ext3 you have to do a backup/mkfs/restore on
all partitions that you are converting. Not to mention needing an
XFS kernel.

--
               More Important Drivel from:
 Scott Henry <scotty@rahul.net> /\/\/\  http://www.tenchiki.net/