Stopping spam

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:

> I'll look into it.  I need some way to kill the spam that goes through my
> servers.  Yesterday I received an email from Brazil.  I'm not real sure what it
> said, but it looked official, made several references to "spam," and quoted at
> the bottom something that looked like legal text.  I'm assuming that they
> received some spam with a message ID that matched one of my machines.

My setup:

exim from sid, with the hack dman mentioned about a week ago in the
configs to run everything through spamassassin (this causes most of the
spam to be tagged with an extra header to make it bloody easy for users
to procmail filter it, and ****SPAM**** added to the beginning of the
subject line for easy visual identification).  Most spam doesn't make it
that far, I have exim configured to use about a dozen RBLs, which takes
out the spam that isn't worth reporting due to ISP inaction on the
issue.  The last two RBLs in my config don't list anything but every IP
address assigned to Korea, and the other every IP assigned to China,
since it doesn't appear any admins in either country have a clue.  This
at least gets it so what does make it through is most likely coming from
an ISP that takes action on such issues.

Report *all* spam, period.  spamcop.net automates this, you will see
dramatic reductions in spam after a few weeks.  Just as a test, we set
up an account on a server with no spam filtering whatsoever and put the
address on some fairly regularly spambot-crawled webboards.  It got up
to recieving 40 spams/day.  We started reporting it.  It dropped to 3
spams a day within two weeks, and that spam would have been blackholed
by the RBLs if it was an address on ursine (most of what was left came
from China, Korea, or Postmaster General, Inc).

> Or why they don't include the sound card specs, etc., with the PC documentation.

Yeah, but at least that's not dangerous if you have to do a little
guesswork.

--
Baloo