Re: Red Hat user shopping around

Paul 'Baloo' Johnson writes:
>On Wed, 8 May 2002, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
>
>> Linux and low RAM boxes don't get along well.
>
>Not sure what paralell universe that's from.  Linux runs on PDAs, for

I mis-stated myself; Low RAM boxes and Linux GUIs (X and gimp, desktop
applications (Gnome, KDE), etc.) don't get along.  Linux from the console and
16M RAM worked great for me.  But fire up X with Gnome, and I could fix supper
before Gnome would finish loading.  Try to start Netscape and I could go to bed
and get up the next morning and hope it would be started.  Pages would load at
20 bites/second.

>> couple of years I ran Linux, I did everything on the console.  My wife
>> didn't know Linux had graphics, and referred to Linux as the "X-ray
>> vision operating system."
>
>I don't get it.

Linux from console reminded her of reading xrays - black background with
everything pertinent in white.  It's a poor analogy, because xrays are pictures
while the console is solely text, but that's what she called it.

>> need an MTA that gives me more control over the mail in my system, including the
>> ability to have copies of all mail that originates in my system sent to me by
>> the MTA.
>
>This is best done by hacking procmail into the message path on an
>existing MTA, no MTA has this ability out of the box.

I'll have to research that one.  I know that Sendmail can be configured to use
Procmail as the MDA, but I didn't know that Procmail could be used as the front
end for the MTA.

>You'll probably like Debian's default, exim, which is easy to configure
>and doesn't have relaying enabled by default.

I'll look into it.  I need some way to kill the spam that goes through my
servers.  Yesterday I received an email from Brazil.  I'm not real sure what it
said, but it looked official, made several references to "spam," and quoted at
the bottom something that looked like legal text.  I'm assuming that they
received some spam with a message ID that matched one of my machines.

>> I started with 5.2 also.  Actually I tried Slackware first.  That was a
>> nightmare.  How'd I know they'd expect me to keep a copy of my monitor refresh
>> rates lying around?
>
>Before I install X on any system, I go to monitorworld.com and look up
>the data on the monitor, then use a magic marker to write it on the back
>of the monitor if it's not already printed there.  I never could
>understand why such a basic spec isn't printed right on the same label
>as the make, model and FCC id.

Or why they don't include the sound card specs, etc., with the PC documentation.

Glen