Re: Red Hat user shopping around

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 01:09, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> Ron writes:

[snip]
> >A Debian policy-that-I-think-is-a-quirk: there is the the concept
> >of the meta-package.  mail-transport-agent is an example.  When,
> >for example, you install exim, mail-transport-agent is also
> >installed.  If you want to install postfix to test it out, apt
> >will remove exim, since the exim & postfix packages are both
> >members of the same meta-package.  It won't let me manage
> >inetd.conf to make sure that 2 different programs are combating
> >for the same port.
>
> Not sure I'm following what you mean.  Are you trying to get inetd to read
> queries to the port, and based on the query determine which program to open?  I
> don't think you can do that.  Technically it's possible, but based on Internet
> standards my understanding is that specific ports are designed for specific
> programs (protocols).  And trying to get inetd to pick between exim and postfix
> based on the incoming packets I would think would require a complete rewrite of
> inet.
>
> I may have totally missed what you're trying to say.

Must have.  But, that's why I'm not a teacher!  On mandrake (the
one I know), I can "rpm -ihv" exim and postfix.  Of course, like
you say, 2 progs can't use the same port.  So, I'd have 2 lines
in inetd.conf for smtp: one each for exim and postfix.
Then, I'd comment out, say, exim, and NOHUP inetd to run postfix.
So, I can run exim or postfix depending on what's commented out
in inetd.conf.  No problem.  Debian won't let you do that.

A beauty of the meta-package is that (staying with the MTA example),
if a package requires an MTA, but doesn't care _which_ MTA, the
package developer simply requires mail-transport-agent, instead of
exim|postfix|sendmail|blahblah.  Also more flexible if someone
packages a new MTA.  All he must do it add it as a member of
mail-transport-agent, instead of changing the requirements of each
package that requires an MTA.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |