Re: Red Hat user shopping around

Ron writes:

>> That by itself is good enough for me to try it.  I absolutely dread Red Hat
>> upgrades.  I don't know why they can't do it so you can just upgrade individual
>> packages without having to re-install the whole system.  Most of the time when I
>> upgrade I can guarantee that the box will be down for one to several days.  Ugh!
>
>Note, though, that even with Debian, if a package requires, say,
>perl5.6, and your old stable/Potato box only has perl5, you're
>going to download a _whole_lot_ of dependant packages.

I don't have a problem as much with downloading dependencies as I do with
needing programs that require conflicting libraries.  I'm fortunate in that I
have an ADSL line that will allow 66+ kB/s downloads, assuming the site I'm
accessing can handle it.  If the perl dependencies in your example install
without breaking other dependencies, I'm good to go.

>A Debian policy-that-I-think-is-a-quirk: there is the the concept
>of the meta-package.  mail-transport-agent is an example.  When,
>for example, you install exim, mail-transport-agent is also
>installed.  If you want to install postfix to test it out, apt
>will remove exim, since the exim & postfix packages are both
>members of the same meta-package.  It won't let me manage
>inetd.conf to make sure that 2 different programs are combating
>for the same port.

Not sure I'm following what you mean.  Are you trying to get inetd to read
queries to the port, and based on the query determine which program to open?  I
don't think you can do that.  Technically it's possible, but based on Internet
standards my understanding is that specific ports are designed for specific
programs (protocols).  And trying to get inetd to pick between exim and postfix
based on the incoming packets I would think would require a complete rewrite of
inet.

I may have totally missed what you're trying to say.

Glen