Re: Kernel compile with additional comments

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 06:58 pm, curtis wrote:
> So, I'm still at a loss.
>
> I built the kernel for FreeS/WAN using make-kpkg. Everything in that regard
> seem to go fine, as well as the dpkg -install. Now, I didn't add anything
> to my kernel. I left it just the way it was, so maybe there was something I
> should have included, but what?
>
> My lilo.conf reads pretty much like the one Paul sent, except,
> initrd=/initrd.img is almost at the beginning of the file prior to the
> default=Linux line. Perhaps I should move it?

Yes, absolutely you should.  Each initrd.img is unique to a kernel.  If you
are custom compiling kernels, and you statically compile in the options
required for booting (root fs support for instance), you should not specify
an initrd.img file for that kernel.  I'm not quite sure if kernel-package can
create a .deb that contains initrd files easily, but I haven't needed to do
so yet...

Some indenting (see below) should help you figure out what belongs to each
image, but generally, the presence of an "image=" line ends the previous
section...

>     Something like this: <edited by Robert <flea@pobox.com>>
>
>     ## portion of lilo.conf
>
>     default=Linux
>
>     image=/vmlinuz
>     	label=Linux
>     	read-only
>

>     image=/vmlinuz.old
>     	label=LinuxOLD
>     	initrd=/initrd.img
>     	read-only
>     	optional
>
>     ## end of lilo.conf
>
>     Make sure image & initrd point to the required file locations, or
>     symlinks to the required locations.

Note that the "Linux" version is supposed to represent your custom-compiled
kernel, where you aren't likely to have a corresponding initrd.img.

--
Someone is speaking well of you.

How unusual!