Re: Debian Driver disk problem

Hi,

I wasn't on this list before, but I got this e-amil forwarded.
That's why the strange quoting ;-).

> From: Phydeaux <reb@taco.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Debian Driver disk problem
> Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 07:21:37 -0400
>
> Recently I have been trying to get Debian 2.2 or 3.0 loaded
> onto a Dell Poweredge 1650 server. This appears to require
> the use of the driver disks because of the RAID controller that
> is built into the box (a Dell PERC3 that uses the AACRAID /
> PERCRAID driver).

I recently installed Debian 2.2 on a Dell PowerEdge 2550. As
far as I know these two are similar. The PE 2550 uses a PERC 3
dual integrated RAID controller, the onboard ethernet card is an
intel ether express pro. Indeed the AACRAID driver is needed for
this controller. Using the bootfloppies by Ingemar Fallman
	http://www.hem.net/doc/linux/pe2550_boot-floppies/
worked ok for me to install the system. (Keep in mind that when
asked for the kernel source device, you choose the floppies
instead of the cdrom.)

However according to:
	http://domsch.com/linux/
the 1650 platform is *very* new, so most existing distributions
do not include an aacraid driver which recognizes this
controller automatically. Please see PE1650 Information Update:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/pe1650/en/ts/1P523/1p523.pdf

What it says is basically that the driver needs some parameters:
	aacraid_pciid=0x1028,0x0A,0x1028,0x011B

Since the aacraid driver is compiled into the kernel, these must
be specified as kernel-parameters. I think that specifying:
	linux aacraid_pciid=0x1028,0x0A,0x1028,0x011B
at the prompt (where you normally just press enter if you don't need
a specific flavor) would be the solution. Maybe the driver on
the floppies from Fallman is too old anyway. In that case you
could try getting woody bootfloppies/cdrom, choose the flavor bf
with kernel 2.4.18 and also specify the kernel-parameter in the
same way.  (Available from:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/bf2.4/
)

Hope this helps,