Re: New Debian distribution concept?

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 04:22:06PM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
> I remember I read after potato was released as stable that Debian would
> start a new concept for the building of the distribution. I haven't heard
> much after that. Does anybody know if there are any plans / discussions
> about this? I am asking because if the number of packages in Debian
> keeps increasing it will be longer and longer between the releases of
> stable distributions.
>
> Thanks for any pointers/links in advance.
>
> Preben

Can you be more specific about the new concept? It looks to me that
you are referring to the package pool and the concept of
unstable/testing/stable, which is already implemented.
There is also a tendency to integrate the boot floppies better with
the other packages so that one can take more 'ordinary' packages
into the boot floppies instead of building the boot floppies from
scratch.
As for the problem of the increasing number of packages there are
discussions in debian-devel about categorizing the packages
differently and the problems that thousands of packages impose on the
existing package handling tools. These issues have not popped up in
the last weeks because due to the coming release but what have been
said is archived.

--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(replace with the at - @ - character)bezeqint.net