Re: Making a boot floppy

Dan,

I don't want this subject to become just more noise, but your idea of
using grep with bin is a good one, and worth remembering.

I'm a newbie to Debian, and presently doing more sys admin than I prefer,
but I've been `computing' since the early 1960s.  Documentation has
improved little since then, but now we have more powerful seach machines.

There's a lot of good documentation for Linux and Debian, but much or most
of it is appropriate for instances where everything goes according to
plan.  What's missing is most often provided by email lists, but usually
with a lot of trial and error.

What I haven't found yet is a condensed version of things that a slightly
more than newbie would want to do, like mkboot after installing a new
kernel. Maybe someone with better search skills than I can turn that up on
the Debian site, but I couldn't.

I know now that if you make partitions for things like /var and later want
to mount them via nfs that you can't mount / and expect to dive into
subdirectories under /var, but finding that in the documentation isn't
easy - and the nohide option is mostly worthless from my experience.

My pet peeve is the fact that error messages are not identified with a
line number and source file that emits them.  This is the ultimate means
to finding a problem.

But hey, any OS is worse than Linux!

--
Sincerely,