Re: Making a boot floppy

Walter Tautz <wtautz@math.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> On Fri, 3 May 2002, David Smead wrote:
>
> > Sorry for being so unskilled -
> >
> > I just installed a new kernel and would like to make a boot floppy.  I've
> > wasted an hour on google and debian looking for how that is done.  I.e.
> > shove a floppy into the drive and type .... ENTER.
> >

> whenever one runs into this difficulty, short of asking on this list,
> you should endeavour to run locate <keyname> where keyname here could
> have been boot. This may have led to the location of command that
> may seem appropriate. OR if the command is not on the system, doing
> apt-cache search boot may have been helpful.

Good suggestion, although in this particular case ("boot"):

$ locate boot|wc -l
    973

$ apt-cache search boot|wc -l
    139

In other words, a lot of hits to look through. So, I would add that it
can be helpful to refine the search:

$ locate boot | grep bin

For apt-cache, I see no obvious refining of the search for someone who
doesn't already know the name of the package that contains mkboot,
viz., debianutils.

$ apt-cache search debianutils
debianutils - Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian.

But since debianutils is part of base, I guess it should be installed
already.

Another help can be the apropos command. See the man page.

In short, I think the OP's original question was reasonable in this
instance. Yet Walter's suggestions (perhaps with refinements) should
be heeded, as they work in the vast majority of cases (and _may_ have
led the OP to the answer, although not certainly).

Just asking for a little sympathy for the newbies (and not so newbies)
out there,

Dan

--