Re: Rebooting under a customized kernel

curtis@npc-usa.com (curtis) writes:

> Ok, after trying to compile the kernel now several different ways, I
> still can't boot up afterwards. That is, on boot up while it's doing
> the, what is it LILO 2.22................  something like that, it gets
> started and then starts over, and over, and over, and.....
>
> So, I noticed that my initrd.img is pointed to
> /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-386, whereas the custom kernel is 2.4.18.  Note
> that 2.4.18-386 is the previous kernel, which I can boot into. So, I'm
> thinking there should probably be a custom initrd.img for my custom
> kernel, no?

Depends on how you built your kernel. If you built all the nessary
stuff to boot into the kernel, you do not need an initrd.img. In
which case, you would remove reference to it from your /etc/lilo.conf
file (in the section that references your new kernel), and rerun lilo.

Sounds like you are looking at the new kernel after booting on the
old initrd.img. Actually, you can reference both in lilo.conf and
boot from either. See man lilo.conf. Also man mkinitrd. There is
also good information in /usr/share/doc/mkinitrd as i recall.

Something like this:

## portion of lilo.conf

default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        initrd=/initrd.img
        read-only
        optional

## end of lilo.conf

Make sure image & initrd point to the required file locations, or
symlinks to the required locations.

Paul

--
*  For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*  that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *