Re: Openssh/ssl configure problems

* Martin Clarke (martin.clarke7@mail.dcu.ie) [020505 10:14]:
> Recently while trying to install ssh on my debian (potato) system
> i downloaded both openssh and openssl
> as there is some problem with my cd set (cannot apt-get install ssh)
>
> so i configureed/installed openssl as per instructions in package
> that went without problem
>
> when i tried to install the openssh package i only get as far as configure
> the configure script complains that it "cannot find working ssl library"
> so i choose the option to specify location of ssl dir (/usr/local/ssl) but
> still exits with same error
>
> has anyone had similar problems?? info on net is pretty sketcy and confusing..
> can anyone help?

It sounds to me like you downloaded the sources from openssl.org and
openssh.org respectively. I suggest that it would be easier to go to
http://packages.debian.org/ and get the .deb packages and install those
with dpkg.

If you're really having a problem building openssh, there's probably a
more appropriate forum to ask questions about that (not sure off hand;
look on the openssh web site for a mailing list, newsgroup, or web
posting board).

One thing that may help you get started building it is installing the
openssl-dev package. I'd still say that unless you have a good reason to
do otherwise, you may as well just download the ssh deb and install it
with dpkg, especially if you're having troubles building it yourself.

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml