Openssh/ssl configure problems

Recently while trying to install ssh on my debian (potato) system
i downloaded both openssh and openssl
as there is some problem with my cd set (cannot apt-get install ssh)

so i configureed/installed openssl as per instructions in package
that went without problem

when i tried to install the openssh package i only get as far as configure
the configure script complains that it "cannot find working ssl library"
so i choose the option to specify location of ssl dir (/usr/local/ssl) but
still exits with same error

has anyone had similar problems?? info on net is pretty sketcy and confusing..
can anyone help?
thanks
martin.