[Fwd: RE: Compiling for FreeS/WAN]

Unforunately, after doing all of the following yesterday, I was unable to boot into my customized kernel.
On the reboot it starts to load linux and then suddenly reboots.
As I wrote last, here's the way I compiled the kernel with freeswan:

addgroup [username] src	#this adds you to the src group - I really don't
			 know if this is necessary or not
su [user name]			#so you are now logged in as yourself
(related to the above, I guess a security caution) cd /usr/src tar -xf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar #assuming it is not zipped (also untar the freeswan package if you haven't)
ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 linux
cd linux
make-kpkg -config=menuconfig kernel-image
su root				#I had to do this, else it won't create
				 the deb kernel image
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18.xxxx.deb

Maybe there was some actions I needed to perform during the kernel config?
I just checked to see if IPSEC FreeS/WAN was included.

Curtis