More PCMCIA woes...

Since /etc/init.d/pcmcia won't work with modules built as part
of the kernel build, I thought I'd try using the modules from
the pcmcia-modules package.

That doesn't work either.

The only way to get the pcmcia-modules package to build the
orinoco modules is to enable "wireless LAN / orinoco" in the
_kernel_ build.  Then you end up with two different (and
mutually incompatible) versions of orinoco modules.

This causes two problems:

 1) Errors when the packages are installed since they try to
    overwrite each other's files. Even with --force-overwrite
    you _still_ end up with multiple versions of orinoco
    modules.

 2) /etc/init.d/pcmcia loads an incompatible combination of
    modules from the kernel and pcmcia-modules packages.

It will work after you go in by hand and delete the
kernel/drivers/net/wireless directory (and it's contents).

I've found a couple ways to get a system to work:

  1) Use kernel-image modules and then delete a directory in
     /lib/modules installed by the kernel-image package.

  2) Use pcmcia-modules and deleting the wireless modules
     installed by the kernel-images package.

But if I ship a box like that, the first time the customer does
an upgrade the deleted files will reappear and the system breaks.

Somebody else out there must be using PCMCIA support.  It
simply _can't_ be as broken as it appears to be.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using kernel 2.4.8 sources and pcmcia-cs sources that were
current as of about a week ago...

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com