gdm startup (xsession)

Hi,
I have gdm installed, but am unable to have any commands executed at
startup in .xsession or .xinitrc.  I have the line
exec wmaker&
in my .xsession file, but when I choose xsession in gdm the screen goes
blank and I'm shortly returned to the gdm login session.  I can login
by choosing windowmaker in gdm, and I then find that the
file .xsession-errors is created, and contains the line:
/usr/bin/WindowMaker warning: could not find icon file "wmaker-nav.tif"
I created a .xinitrc and put commands in it, such as:
xplanetbg&
but they are ignored.  Does anybody know what files gdm will look
at when starting up an xsession?  I looked at the file
/etc/gdm/Sessions/Xsession and noticed it contained the line:
startup=$HOME/.xsession
which I thought would tell it to use my .xsession file in my home
directory.  Does anybody know what is wrong with my .xsession file that
would throw me back to gdm?  (by accident, I originally didn't have
.xsession executable, and then I could login, but .xsession was ignored
and I got some other default window manager).  Thanks very much,

Ric