Re: rlogin without a password

begin  Dougie Nisbet quotation:
> This used to be a piece of cake, but now in the Brave New SSH world, it's a
> right royal pain. All I want to do, is switch on my laptop, and remsh to my
> server, without specifying a username or password. Can I do this with ssh,
> and if not, how do I install old rsh/rlogin on my woody system?

Everybody else is giving you links to the RSAAuthentication method
(which is a misnomer, since it works with DSA keys too), so I'll just
mention the other alternative:

.shosts files, which work pretty much like .rhosts, only for SSH only.

There are security good points and bad points to each.  Generally, it is
my opinion that if the "client" account is to be used by a single
person, RSAAuthentication is best; and if it is to be used by several
people, .shosts is best.  There are going to be responses now from
perfectly reasonable people who completely disagree with me.

--
Join the Sergio Brandano Fan Club:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/1999/debian-user-199910/msg00981.html