Re: poweroff wont poweroff

Today's the day for UPS questions...

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:33:03AM -0500, Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
> shutdown -h now switches to runlevel 0 and performs an orderly shutdown
> ending with the message power down.  That other operating? system can
> turn the computer off.
>
> The difference was never important to me until I installed a ups.
> Previously I never left the computer unattended so I was always present
> to turn the computer off.  Now the ups software can properly initiate
> the debian shutdown so I can leave the computer unattended with no risk
> of losing data in the event of a power failure but the computer will
> continue to draw power until the battery runs down.  (I connect nothing
> but the computer to the battery support - not even the monitor.  Once
> the power failure shutdown has been tested I don't need to see what's
> happening.)

I recently installed a CyberPower 650SL UPS and I'm running powstatd
to monitor the data line from the UPS.

This UPS offers the ability to receive a signal on the data line,
telling the *UPS* to turn itself off.  This apparently has the
advantage that if the power (in the wall) comes back on, then
your computer will come back up on its own, without your
intervention - not the case if you turn off the computer
using its own power management features.  I haven't actually
tested this aspect of the UPS though.  This would mean that
your computer can turn off the UPS while the UPS is in
battery mode, and the UPS will turn itself back on when
the power comes back on.

If this is true, then you don't have to bother with apm
(power management) for your computer, just tell your users
it's a feature :-)

Please let us know if it works; if I get around to testing
this feature I will also post results.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org