Re: 2.4.18 - No SCSI subsystem

    "Keith" == Keith O'Connell <keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

    Keith> On 29 Apr 2002 22:09:52 -0500
    Keith> Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >> If this is the wrong track I'm leading you down, at least tell
    >> us more about your machine and what exactly is happening. I
    >> really don't want to be patronizing (honestly), but saying that
    >> "you played around for a little while but could not get it to
    >> work" makes is very hard for people to help you out.
    >>

    Keith> Yep, I read your message and "patronizing" was exactly the
    Keith> word that sprnag to mind, however I want it fixed so I
    Keith> worked through the message again, and as a result of what
    Keith> you said, I have fixed it, so I guess "patronizing" was
    Keith> what was required. Thanks

You have my apologies. That certainly was a very patronizing note now
that I read it again, I must've been in a worse mood than I thought
last night (missing irq on hdc getting me down). It makes me feel a
little better that at least I was not wrong about the source of your
problem. Phew ;-)

    Keith> The solution was to place aha152x in the /etc/modules
    Keith> file. Now, what I do not understand is why that line was
    Keith> not required in /etc/modules for it to be recognised under
    Keith> 2.2.20, but was needed in 2.4.18. My problem is no longer
    Keith> the machine not working, but me not understanding. Can
    Keith> someone explain the variable treatment of /etc/modules
    Keith> between 2.2.20 and 2.4.18?

The potato kernels for SCSI used to have a lot of very common drivers
compiled in. With the 2.4 kernels most drivers are built as
modules. So you have to edit /etc/modules to get them in. I don't
quite understand why (I believe it has to do with size, and with
something seemingly very cool that can be done with initrd), but it
works pretty well anyway. It's probably something that should be
documented in the release notes I guess. I can see how easy it would
be to fall for this one.

Cheers!
Shyamal