Scanner and libsane dependencies

I recently got an Acer 3300U usb scanner. Sane (1.0.7) does not support
it directly, but a version of sane (1.0.4) found on Acer's site supports
it. I could get the scanner working on my woody box. I have a problem
now: apt-get complains about unmet dependencies of xsane. Program xsane
works, but I cannot use apt-get :-( How can I get over this problem?

Is there a way that the Acer's modification of sane getting into the
official sane tree or has it already been done?

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                                mas at uomphysics dot net

furbling, v.:
	Having to wander through a maze of ropes at an airport or bank
	even when you are the only person in line.
		-- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"