Re: chmod

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:15:53AM +1200, Corrin Lakeland wrote:

[other people wrote:]

> > > And if anyone's in a 'splaining mood, here's another one: how do you set
> > > all files so that the group permissions match the user permissions?
> >
> > This one is tougher, I think.  You could write
> > such a utility pretty easily in C using the "stat()" function, but
> > even though it's simple it seems like over kill. Gotta be a better
> > way.
[...]
> Open invitation for any perl monk...

  perl -MFile::Find -e 'find (sub {
          return unless -f;
          my $mode = (stat)[2];
          $mode &= ~0060;
          $mode |= ($mode & 0600) >> 3;
          chmod $mode, $_;
  }, "/some/directory");'

At least, that's the most straightforward way that springs to mind,
although it certainly isn't the shortest. It deliberately doesn't touch
directories - remove the 'return unless -f;' line if you want that.