Re: SBLive! and 5.1

David,
I routed PCM#1 and all digital devices to the digital output that is connected to my digital stereo.  PCM#1 is also routed to my 'front' analog output.  PCM#0 and all other devices are routed to my 'rear' analog output.  The 'master' volume controls my front analog channel and the 'speaker' volume controls the rear analog channel.  I left the digital output without volume controls because I want my digital receiver to control the volume (so all sources are always at the same volume).  The utility programs included with the driver make this fairly simple.

There is no difference between any of the outputs.  In windows or perhaps with the kernel driver, the rear channel does not have the +12db gain applied to it (neither does the digital).  You will definately gain improvement by using the creative driver because you can enable AC3 support and not route analog signals out the digital port (nearly eliminates all background static at high volumes, better than mute).  Plus you can add gains and effects.  If you have a 5.1, you probably have an additional output, which is probably exactly the same as the front/rear, but with a low freq effect applied to it.

Applications would need to have support to decode to the correct output, or just to use AC3 pass through and have the digital receiver decode it.  I think LinDVD has AC3 supprt.  I don't know what your digital speakers support; are they connected to the digital output (the yellow plug)?  Can they do AC3 decoding?  If so, look for apps that support AC3.

-Paul