Re: version 4 of X installation

I configured the monitor and video card with the same values I had been
using with X 3.3. I'm using a nVidia GeForce DDR 32 chipset with a
boring 17" CRT.

I tried fiddling with the Default Screen definition, but nothing I could
think of produced a valid screen.

-j

On 27 Apr 2002, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

>    "Jonathan" == Jonathan David Pearce <jonathan@pearce.name> writes:
>
>    Jonathan> Just installed xserver-xfree86 and chose to manage my
>    Jonathan> XF86Config-4 file using debconf. I went through the
>    Jonathan> configuration process and tried to startx. Now I get
>
>    Jonathan> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have usable configuration
>
>    Jonathan> Fatal server error: no screens found
>
>    Jonathan> whenever I startx.
>
>    Jonathan> Any suggestions?
>
>You might want to look into /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see which Screen
>has the unusable configuration and why. If you just used Debconf then
>most likely you get one screen in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 called
>"Default Screen" for which you chose a resolution and default
>depth. Maybe that combination is no good for your card? try running
>'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' and look carefully at each option
>you entered.
>
>Just guessing. You might want to post more detail (what does your
>config file look like? What kind of hardware do you have?).
>
>Cheers!
>Shyamal
>

>--

Jonathan David Pearce
jonathan@pearce.name
Fingerprint: 2CF1 A8CE 3664 290E 808D  7264 8E17 A4BE 3EAA FB2A
Public Key: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~jpearce/jpearce_keys.txt